Opened in 1949 and frequented by the left-wing intellectuals during the Brazilian military regime of the Sixties and Seventies, the Riviera Bar remained in business until 2006.
With the aim of returning it to its ancient splendour, Facundo Guerra, the famous entrepreneur behind several nightclubs and bars in the city, reopened it in 2013 with Alex Atala, former chef of the prestigious restaurant Dom. The redevelopment project was assigned to Marcio Kogan’s studio mk27, and the spirit of bygone days was recreated with the modernist architectural elements that permeate the building. These include the impressive glass brick wall, the scene-stealing Hollywood-style sculptural staircase and the flashing sign on the front.
Inside the bar, guests are welcomed by the sinuous bar counter in Corian® which runs around the load-bearing column, while on the upper floor, which follows the curved shape of the building, they can enjoy a buffet meal or a show in the evening, in a setting dominated by the warm colours of wood.
The Architects explain:
“While the ground floor looks to the inside, with its more informal ambient, the first floor has large glass windows from where it is possible to see the high tunnels and avenues, creating a relationship with the surrounding urbanity”.