The premises are colourful, functional, flexible, bright, designed in line with organisational requirements and conducive both to interaction and to privacy, in keeping with the corporate values geared towards cooperation, innovation, simplicity, trust and personal responsibility: these are the new Alcatel premises, the workplace of 1700 people spread over an area of 33,000 square metres in the Segro Energy Park of Vimercate, in the province of Milan, keeping business in the same area as the company’s original headquarters. The facility is made up of a large double-height hall that connects five buildings used for different purposes: three used for offices, one as a laboratory and a multi-media area.
Alcatel Lucent chose Degw Italia to handle the whole consolidation process, from an analysis of the overall company structure to redefining the quantity and quality of the space required. “The company’s aim – emphasises Marco Agazzi, Real Estate Manager of Alcatel Lucent Italia – was to create a facility that was comfortable, technologically advanced and ecosustainable, able to improve the quality of the services and resources offered to workers and to contribute to the general process of change undertaken over a year ago at global level”.
For its part, Degw Italia provided support to the client throughout the whole process, from the definition of the organisational requirements to the technical support in choosing the Vimercate location, as well as designing the space layout and the interior design and customizing the systems, including some 7000 square metres of laboratories.
The 2300-square-metre hall has been conceived as a fluid, open, space, arranged into special areas that bring together a number of functions: reception and waiting area, meeting area, client area, cafeteria and ancillary services (banking counter, security, infirmary).
Next to the hall is the 1200-square-metre Multimedia Communication Center, which hosts an auditorium seating 150 with a foyer, a small amphitheatre seating 60, and the University, with meeting rooms, classrooms and technical rooms. The building contains 16,000 square metres of office space and 6800 square metres of laboratories.
The type plan alternates open-plan work areas with closed offices, with rows of meeting rooms along the outside perimeter, while the central part of the building is given over to the support areas (touchdown, concentration room, copy area, group archives), which feature made-to-measure furnishings. Finally, the connecting areas between the buildings are imagined as open, shared areas: break areas and meeting rooms.